Pages

Sunday, 14 July 2013

Snobbery

Okay, so I think this may actually be my first post about something serious,because I kind of feel like this is something I really have to get off my chest.
Anyone reading this from the UK may  have seen this video of Katie Hopkins on a tv breakfast television show talking about why she wouldn't let her children play with other children with certain names because she didn't want them mixing with working class children. If you haven't see it, watch it, although it is absolutely sickening.

This video makes me angry for several reasons. First of all, why is this woman being taken seriously when she is clearly a total idiot? She says she doesn't like names based on places, and yet she has called her child India? If nothing else she says proves that her opinions are ridiculous then this must do.

Second, the fact that people agree with her makes me feel depressed. Okay, it is a fairly small number, but still it makes me despair for the sake of humanity. If you look at it, this snobbery is totally illogical. We are all human beings, made of exactly the same parts, and yet some people think they are better because they speak and dress slightly differently, in a way which they deem to be superior. 

Every time anyone expresses an opinion like this I have to force myself to take deep breaths and not run up to them and scream in their faces. Personally,I think that all snobs are only like this because they are insecure about themselves, and so they bring other people down to make themselves seem better.

It was this video which made me realise that snobbery is my number one pet hate. Not just class snobbery, but any kind, even music and style snobbery bugs me, although to a much lesser degree. I hate how people always say that listening to pop music is their 'guilty pleasure'. Never in my life have I actually felt bad about listening to pop music, because it isn't harming anyone, and hey, even if it isn't very meaningful it does a damn good job of cheering me up. I'm not saying you have to like it, I can see why it might not be your cup of tea but I feel annoyed that it seems to have been given a lesser status than other types of music.

Phew. Thank you for allowing me to yell my opinions at you, please comment to agree/disagree with me. Or to tell me if the link to video doesn't work, which it might not because blogger seems to hate me.

12 comments:

  1. Omg - I couldn't agree more with you! I actually feel sorry for Katie Hopkins & her close mindedness - it's sad that she's holding her children back from being nice as well as making friendships that could be potentially lifelong! Great post!
    Rachael x
    Rachaeleeno | Beauty, Fashion & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I feel so sorry for her poor children who are going to have such limited childhoods because their mother thinks she's doing something good for them...

      Delete
  2. I totally agree. Snobbery is just people thinking that they are better than everyone else, and it's sickening.
    Your comment about music snobbery made me remember this stand up piece by Dara O'Briain.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWGSWPplXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) haha yes I think I have seen that, it made me laugh a lot....

      Delete
  3. Wow, I watched that whole video and that woman is completely laughable and horrifically stupid. A person's fucking name, let alone background, family, clothes does not define who they are, does not determine one's value as a human being, or their intelligence (and it's ironic because she is making comments about how intelligent names come from intelligent parents when she obviously has no intelligence herself) and to impose such dated and prejudiced beliefs on young children is just disgusting.

    I HATE snobby people :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! I don't get how people can possibly think that something as trivial as someone's name could possibly define their intelligence...

      Delete
  4. The contents of that video just seemed so preposterous and idiotic (and I didn't know very much about Katie Hopkins) so I searched her up. Apparently she was a contestant for a reality show and I suppose she only said and did that for the media attention. But even with that, what a terrible and hurtful thing to say! I mean, you say you want the best for your children and yet restrict them to so little world experience due to your own time problems? Ok, so you're a working mum and don't have time to check up on all of your kids' friends but that doesn't give you the right to stereotype a whole group in society, just as employers can't disqualify women from applying solely due their sex - it's lazy and unjust!

    I really hope that was a spoof but I hate how it's planting ideas into peoples' heads

    wastelandsofwisdom.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she was on The Apprentice, and she pretty much seems to just say stupid stuff on daytime television for money now. And I can hardly believe that she is far too busy to meet any of her children's friends at all, it isn't about her not having enough time it's about being a snob. I fear it isn't fake though, she seems to have done other similar rants against fat and tattooed people.

      Delete
  5. Wow. I really wanted to write a post like this for a while but I had no way of putting it. Katie Hopkins is just seriously irritating but there are snobs pretty much everywhere we go. I once put on my blog that I like One Direction and I got a bit of hate for it. Why can't someone like both Nirvana and One Direction. I only cam across your blog through a link from another blog but I like it and I'm following you now:)


    http://oppositeofstyle.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's annoying that there are still people who think like this in the 21st century... I know! People don't seem to be able to accept that people can like more than one type of music, when actually what you listen to often depends on your mood! I see nothing wrong with liking One Direction, although I'm not a proper fan myself. Thanks for following :)

      Delete
  6. i saw that too! well at least we know the majority all hated her, especially the hosts. that was a mini fist-pump moment whenever they sneered at her.

    do you want to do a liebster? i think you're super duper cool

    http://apapillon.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/liebster.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, it was satisfying when almost eveyone disgreed with her...

      Yeah I would, I have already done one but I can update it with your questions on the end :)

      Delete