It's that time of year again. The time that everyone is supposed to love, and be super happy the entire time because its just so incredible- summer.
But despite the fact that all girls my age should love prancing around in bikinis in sunshine, I really don't. Every year I dread summer, and as soon as September arrives, I welcome cold weather with open arms. As many people find my hatred of summer baffling, I decided to outline the main reasons why I hate it so much.
1. Expectations- Every year, without fail, at least one person utters the fateful words 'this is going to be the best summer everrrrrrr!!!'. To me, this is just a sure fire way of guaranteeing disappointment, as these few months inevitably never live up to these expectations. For some reason, people think that warm weather will improve their life, without any effort on their part. This is a complete misconception. During summer you spend exactly the same amount of time curled up on a sofa hunched over some kind of screen, despite all of your best intentions to actually, like, do stuff.
2. Heat- Okay, so I realise that some people just can't get enough hot weather. But for me, this is the absolute worst bit of summer. I am one of those people who are paralysed by heat, and I normally spend my time spread-eagled across some kind of cool surface, panting and sweating myself into a state of dehydration.
3. Hair removal- Summer also highlights one of the most annoying parts of being a girl. For me, the fact that having hair anywhere apart from your head if you are a girl means you are treated with horror and alarm seriously bugs me. While this issue can be avoided in winter, while everyone is covered from head to toe in several layers, during summer it rears its ugly head, as we are told that anyone who has not bleached, shaved or waxed every single one of their bodily hairs LITERALLY CANNOT WEAR A BIKINI. ON PAIN OF DEATH.
4. Clothing- As someone who likes to be creative with what I wear, I find summer quite restricting. While in winter you can experiment with tights, shirts, jumpers and coats, in summer you are pretty much restricted to purely wearing shorts and vest tops in pale colours, because wearing anything else will cause you to collapse in a sweaty heap on the floor.
5. Insects- Because I have a completely irrational fear of any creature with six or more legs, summer is also a time of terror for me. My nights are spent creeping around my room, desperately trying to kill the innumerable bugs which have decided to take up residence there, and then being unable to sleep for fear of attack from a vengeful relative of the spider I just crushed with a copy of Vogue.