Pages

Saturday, 6 July 2013

Why I hate summer

It's that time of year again. The time that everyone is supposed to love, and be super happy the entire time because its just so incredible- summer.
But despite the fact that all girls my age should love prancing around in bikinis in sunshine, I really don't. Every year I dread summer, and as soon as September arrives, I welcome cold weather with open arms. As many people find my hatred of summer baffling, I decided to outline the main reasons why I hate it so much.

1. Expectations- Every year, without fail, at least one person utters the fateful words 'this is going to be the best summer everrrrrrr!!!'. To me, this is just a sure fire way of guaranteeing disappointment, as these few months inevitably never live up to these expectations. For some reason, people think that warm weather will improve their life, without any effort on their part. This is a complete misconception. During summer you spend exactly the same amount of time curled up on a sofa hunched over some kind of screen, despite all of your best intentions to actually, like, do stuff.

2. Heat- Okay, so I realise that some people just can't get enough hot weather. But for me, this is the absolute worst bit of summer. I am one of those people who are paralysed by heat, and I normally spend my time spread-eagled across some kind of cool surface, panting and sweating myself into a state of dehydration.

3. Hair removal- Summer also highlights one of the most annoying parts of being a girl. For me, the fact that having hair anywhere apart from your head if you are a girl means you are treated with horror and alarm seriously bugs me. While this issue can be avoided in winter, while everyone is covered from head to toe in several layers, during summer it rears its ugly head, as we are told that anyone who has not bleached, shaved or waxed every single one of their bodily hairs LITERALLY CANNOT WEAR A BIKINI. ON PAIN OF DEATH.

4. Clothing- As someone who likes to be creative with what I wear, I find summer quite restricting. While in winter you can experiment with tights, shirts, jumpers and coats, in summer you are pretty much restricted to purely wearing shorts and vest tops in pale colours, because wearing anything else will cause you to collapse in a sweaty heap on the floor.

5. Insects- Because I have a completely irrational fear of any creature with six or more legs, summer is also a time of terror for me. My nights are spent creeping around my room, desperately trying to kill the innumerable bugs which have decided to take up residence there, and then being unable to sleep for fear of attack from a vengeful relative of the spider I just crushed with a copy of Vogue.

9 comments:

  1. I get you so much! I do like summer, but it's never as great as everyone makes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! For more details go here:
    http://gorillalegs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God I'm not the only one! It doesn't help that I have horrendous hayfever, but summer is never as good as you expect, and normally after the first two weeks of the holidays I am longing for the structure, sociability and all round interestingness of school :P God, that makes me sound like a geek...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I am so glad I don't get hay fever anymore... Haha I know I always miss school after like 2 weeks of summer...

      Delete
  4. THIS HAS MADE MY DAY. I agree with everything! I'm in an extra long summer holiday, having just finished my exams, and I was sooo looking forward to getting out. I truly thought it would be the "best summer", but I have no money, haha! I totally get what you say about summer clothes-I feel though I'm restricted with what I can wear, and I love wearing crochet but it's too hot!

    Your blog is THE best!

    myfashionlabyrinth.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thank you so much for this! And I know, I am currently desperately scrabbling around for some kind of job, so I can pay for stuff.... Ugh summer

      Delete