Pages

Thursday, 5 December 2013

This was mostly a good day

So today was one of those days which was nice because stuff actually happened. Not anything major or dramatic, but just things which don't normally happen, fun things which are sadly kind of rare. I feel like most of the time, people at my school sit around silently, uninvolved with anyone else. They're nice people, but it just frustrates me that because we never do anything we never get to have fun together, and I feel like I don't really know any of them as people because we just don't ever communicate.

First of all me and my class are organising a play so we were allowed into the props cupboard at school, which is basically just a huge room where everything ever used in a school play ends up in a massive dusty heap. We spent quite a while clambering over loads of weird old furniture, laughing at some of the seriously weird shit we found, like a model sheep and a circle of wood covered in CDs. In the end we managed to haul out all the things we wanted before realising that actually we didn't have anywhere to put them so we were running around school in a storm holding fake trees and bits of houses with a wheelchair trying not to get blown over before the librarian took pity on us and let us stash all of it in front of the bookcases.

It kind of went slightly downhill when in French we were discussing crime and whether prisons are a good thing and which crimes you should be punished most harshly for and the discussion got on to rape. Almost inevitably there were people saying that rape is excusable in some circumstances because if you're wearing slutty clothes or drunk then people around you are powerless to stop themselves from sexually assaulting you right? While people were saying this I stared blankly at the wall because if I would have spoken I probably would have just yelled something like WHAT PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON WOULD YOU BE OKAY IF SOMEONE RAPED YOU LIKE WOULD YOU FEEL TOTALLY FINE ABOUT IT BECAUSE HEY IT WAS MY OWN FAULT FOR BEING SUCH A SILLY SLUT OOPS OR WOULD YOU FEEL HORRIFICALLY VIOLATED AND DISTRAUGHT. I just don't get how people still back these totally illogical and stupid arguments, and it was girls in my class who were saying that mostly rape victims are to blame. It made me think though that maybe I should speak up more when things make me angry, because actually I am kind of anxious about what people think of me but if they're going to hate me because I disagree with their shitty opinions then I don't think I really care.

6 comments:

  1. You should definitely speak up when you feel you need to, because you have the right ideas in your mind!
    There is absolutely nothing acceptable about rape, and don't let anybody tell you there is xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I know I should try and speak my mind more, but ugh being shy is such a pain xx

      Delete
  2. Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh man I feel you. Speaking up is so hard, PEOPLE MAKE ME SO ANGRY. I totally understand just not wanting to cause drama, not wanting haters, being painfully shy ugh but speaking out you will probably discover that there are people who agree with you. Fuck people tho they probably aren't worth your time and energy

    Idk if you know but my new url is http://perpetual-perplexities.blogspot.co.nz/ and you should follow me again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Sometimes I just wish I could live with rabbits and cats and just avoid everyone and their stupid opinions forever......... Aw yay I missed your blog I will go and follow it immediately xxx

      Delete
  3. I can empathise with the not doing anything fun part and how stupid people are for saying that rape is justified by short skirts. Feminism all the way, it kills me when girls don't realise it's fine to think something's inappropriate to wear or whatever, but you have to understand its a personal choice and that it no way amounts to a sexual invitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesss slut shaming is the absolute worst thing ever why can't people accept that its someones choice what they want to wear and they shouldn't suffer because others think it has something to do with them

      Delete