Pages

Saturday, 15 March 2014

grand budapest hotel film review

So I went to see The Grand Budapest Hotel the other day. I had never seen one of Wes Anderson's films before so I had pretty much no idea what to expect


I really enjoyed it. The entire film, from the dialogue to the overall aesthetic, had a very meticulous and swift feel to it, and despite the odd and sometimes disorientating jumping back through time. However the way the various threads were kept together with the occasional narration of those who were telling them meant that the film seemed to me at least to weave together very beautifully. The set design and the costumes are all absolutely intricately beautiful, ranging from garish colours in the titular hotel and on the guests themselves to the dull greys of the prison and its inmates, which still manage to look beautifully coordinated somehow. The characters are all brilliantly played, although I admit I got way too excited about Tilda Swinton playing an elderly rich widow, and Tony Revolori has made my mental list of people my age whom I admire but who make me feel very inadequate, alongside Lorde and Tavi Gevinson.  

6 comments:

  1. you are so lucky to get to see the film! I've been wanting to see it for a while. Your review makes me want to see it even more! argh. I hear tilda wears some amazing outfits in this movie and i'm compelled to see how Tony acts in this film.

    styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it is definitely worth seeing! Yes she does, as well as some particularly extravagant hairstyles haha. Yes I wasn't sure what to expect from him, but he is very good and kind of endearing.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that film yet, but I really want to ;)
    very nice blog by the way :)

    kisses from Russia,
    Juliet
    RUSSIAN DOLL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Feel free to click on the link below to check it out!
    xo
    http://lilliputianlilac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete