Pages

Saturday, 29 March 2014

lions and tigers come running just to steal your love

I haven't really written anything on here about what I have been doing with my life, because I felt like I had nothing different to say, apart from the usual oh-my-god-I-have-so-much-work-what-is-my-future. However, thanks to actual physical events happening in my life recently, I feel I am in a position to actually write shit about myself.
 
 
On Wednesday I travelled up to Edinburgh to go to an open day for the university, although I had basically decided that it was going to be one of my choices, I felt like doing something completely out of my normal routine and travel into a different country by myself when I should have been at school. The city is beautiful, although I didn't get much of a chance to explore it, the bits I noticed as I rushed around trying to find the talks I was meant to be going to were nice.

 
I managed to find time to visit an art gallery owned by the university, which was really good. They had an exhibition on the Celtic revival in Scotland, where in the 19th/20th centuries people reproduced celtic themed art and books. It was kind of bizarre to look at, because although they were clearly trying to imitate Celtic art the pictures looked kind of overly bright, and the people in them slightly like disney characters, with huge bright eyes and delicate features. I quite liked the garish nature of them though
 
 
They also had an exhibition on false memories, which was really interesting. There was an entire wall covered in pictures of ufo sightings but with the ufos erased, which I spent ages looking at, as well as a film of several different people recounting the same false memory. The whole thing was weirdly relaxing, and I spent ages wandering round looking at all the slideshows they had running of altered pictures.

 
I also went to the national museum of Scotland very briefly. They had a room full of stuffed animals, which I always find fascinating and entertaining, if a little disconcerting. Like at what point did someone decide that wandering round a room full of dead dangerous animals was a fun, family activity? They also had a room about time and space. I hated physics at school, but astronomy was the one bit I found actually fascinating, and they had all these different time pieces and beautiful telescopes set out in a dark room. Whenever I feel overly caught up in myself, I like to go outside in the dark and look at the stars, just to remind myself that actually my problems are very tiny compared to the rest of the universe.
 
 
The train journey to and from Edinburgh was pretty long, so I got a lot of reading done.I finished the summer book, by Tove Jansson, who wrote the moomin books which I loved when I was younger, and this is one of her adult books.
 
 
Reading this made me feel like for once I want summer to come along. Each chapter in it reads almost like a separate story, each based around a different event and Sophie and her grandmother's reaction to it. It's kind of philosophical, but also really funny, and oddly relateable even though most people don't spend their summer holidays on a scandinavian island.
 
Some of the music I listened to on the train journey there, while watching the hills and sea go by and inwardly squealing when I saw lambs.
 
 
 
I have recently rediscovered the red hot chili peppers. I love the summery lazy feel to their music. Listening to it makes me feel like I should be taking a road trip around America in a beaten up old truck, and lying in the sun
 
 
 
 
 
All these things made me realise how desperate I am for summer. Normally I dread the season of heat, forced fun and disappointed expectations, but my life has been so pressured and hectic for the past several months that the idea of having absolutely nothing to do sounds like heaven. I can't wait until I have enough free time that I don't have to choose between slobbing out in front of the tv eating yogurt, and doing stuff I find interesting and fulfilling, like blogging, discovering new music and editing clothes. Also I would really love to meet up with other bloggers. I was going to in february but failed miserably at that, but I will force myself to get round to it in summer.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this! PS I nominated you for a Liebster!
    http://howfittingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I will put your questions on the end of the other one I did x

      Delete
  2. Edinburgh's my top choice university, too!! :)
    Thank you for the pictures it looks so pretty - I'm finally going there next week
    -- Sasha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I hope you have a nice time there its an amazing city! xo

      Delete
  3. Hello! Edinburgh is so beautiful, I'd love to go there to uni too! Thanks for the music links, I'm now spending my morning rediscovering loads of Red Hot Chilli Peppers music! Also, the Submarine soundtrcks offft! That film kills me! Alex Turner and pretty romantic montages oh I can't take the perfection

    http://8etcetera.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its an amazing place. Haha thats how I've been spending all my bus journeys recently, I really want to see Submarine agh it sounds so good!

      Delete
  4. Oh you need to see it! It made me want to set fire to lots of things while Alex Turner serenades me in the background... it's really good haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry I will! I might try and find it on netflix...

      Delete
  5. Submarine is my favourite album of all time <3
    http://where-is-frank.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film but the love the album so much haha x

      Delete